Monday, October 1, 2012

Picking up Pins, on the Feast of St. Therese of Lisieux

I have loved getting to know St. Therese over the years. Today I want to focus on one of the many great pieces of spiritual advice that she gives in her autobiography The Story of a Soul.

"I prefer the monotony of obscure sacrifice to all ecstasies. To pick up a pin for love can convert a soul."

As a wife and mother, how many "pins" do we pick up each day...not to mention Legos, Polly Pockets, dirty clothes, wet towels, book bags, belts, shoes, socks....the list goes on. So instead of grumbling and criticizing those who don't pick up after themselves, what if we praise God for the opportunity to make a little sacrifice and possibly save a soul?

That puts a whole new look on housekeeping! 

In addition to the Story of a Soul, I highly recommend a book written for pre-teens and teens that weaves the teaching of St. Therese into real life situations of a fifth grader; Olivia and the Little Way.  A great read aloud story for your children or grandchildren.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Such a good reminder, thank you. Our Anna is in 5 th grade, I will look into the book for her. Two years ago there was a small play put on in our parish of the life of St. Theresa of Lisieux and I took Anna to go see it. It was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete