Thursday, August 30, 2012

Spirit FM 90.5 Giving HOPE

In May 1989, my newly-wed husband and I quit our jobs in Ohio and moved to the "promise land" of St. Petersburg, Florida. We left all of our family, except Bob's parents, all of our friends, our schools, our colleges, and everything we had always "known" since birth. We arrived excited about the weather, my transfer to the Tampa office of Arthur Andersen & Co. and the prospect of Bob getting into business for himself.

There were many lonely days after moving. I had co-workers, but no friends.I missed my family and I felt disconnected and alone. And then one day while working on my tan  I turned on the radio. (Did I just type that I was working on my tan??? I really can't believe I EVER had so little to do that I could work on a tan...)

Anyway, I scrolled around on the radio dial and heard a clear voice listing the sponsors of the radio station; St. John's, St. Raphael's, St. Paul's, Blessed Sacrament. What kind of station could this be? I left it on and was pleased to find out that it was 90.5 FM, WBVM, the Catholic Radio Station of the Diocese of St. Petersburg. 

Some of the features from those early days were the praying of the Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet. Msgr. McNulty did a Respect Life segment. Fr. Eric Peters did a segment that ended "And Remember, Jesus Loves You!" Anetta Wallace did a regular piece about parenting and the tag line was "Parents are Partners with God in Loving."

Johnnette Benkovic and Sr. Ann Shields were on in the early mornings. The format change in 1997 ushered in Christian Music. Gus Lloyd was a morning show host, then Big, Big, House Morning Show started in 2008.
Spirit FM 90.5 - Tampa, FL
But through all these years one thing has stayed the same. Spirit FM has brought HOPE. It brought HOPE to me as a 24 year old, moving away from friends and family. It brought HOPE to me in the late nights and early mornings when my babies would wake up and need feeding. It brought hope to me when my kids were pre-teens and teens, that there was a music station that we could ALL listen to.

I thank God for the gift of Spirit FM. Though all the years station manager John Morris along with his staff have brought HOPE. And here's an easy way to explain that HOPE:

H-HERE we HEAR the Lord
O-OVER the airwaves the Lord OPENS OUR hearts
P-PRAYING with PEOPLE we share and grow
E-EVERYONE needs to be EVANGELIZED and Spirit FM makes it EASY


Spirit FM is doing their annual fundraiser. They need all of us to help bringing HOPE. 
Won't you join me in giving HOPE back to a station that has given so much HOPE? 

Click HERE to DONATE 
Spirit FM 90.5 Share-a-thon on air Sept 20-28, 2012

"For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome."Jeremiah 29:11

You don't have to wait till September, Click HERE to DONATE  NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment