Monday, March 19, 2012

Feast of St. Joseph, husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary

St. Joseph does not have one recorded word in Holy Scripture. However, his silence speaks loudly. He consistently DID the will of God.


Although May 1st is the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker, I love this prayer for today's feast as well. As the husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary and foster father of Jesus, Joseph had to work hard to provide for all the needs of the family. We all have work that we need to do each day, and we do well to start our day with this prayer. 


The kids and I say this prayer in the car on the way to school after our morning offering.  My favorite part of this prayer is in bold. May I always have death before my eyes and the account which I must render. This is living life with the end in mind. 


"Glorious St. Joseph, model of all who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work in the spirit of penance in expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously by placing love of duty above my inclinations; to gratefully and joyously deem it an honor to employ and to develop by labor the gifts I have received from God, to work methodically, peacefully, and in moderation and patience, without ever shrinking from it through weariness or difficulty to work; above all, with purity of intention and unselfishness, having unceasingly before my eyes death and the account I have to render of time lost, talents unused, good not done, and vain complacency in success, so baneful to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all to imitate thee, O patriarch St. Joseph! This shall be my motto for life and eternity." - Pope Pius IX


On a light note, my young 20 something friend, Elliot shares that he and his friends in college used to say: "In the spirit of St. Joseph, we must 'date up' always." Aka, date and marry a woman that is way more impressive than ourselves in just about every category. Ha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment