Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Jane Austen Education - How Six Novels Taught Me About Love, Friendship, and the Things that Really Matter by William Deresiewicz

What a delight this book is! I came across it by chance on the new shelf at the Dunnellon Public Library. I liked the cover, a paper doll outfit of a Victorian Man's suit. Also by chance, my 6 year old daughter and I had just watched the movie "Emma" last week. So as a read the first chapter "Emma: Everyday Matters" I completely followed not only the plot of the story but the profound insights that Mr. Deresiewicz expounds upon.

How interesting to me to basically find a secular version of St. Therese of Lisieux's "little way, in the chapter on Emma.

The second chapter about Pride and Prejudice is also very enlightening. The author points out that it is our suffering that causes us to mature. Likewise it is our humiliations that can very well teach us life lessons. I remember clearly many of my own mistakes and failures in the past and how vividly they still hurt all these years later. But usually due to the pain and lesson learned, they are not repeated and did help me to grow up.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of A Jane Austen Education and so I am challenging myself to read for myself the major works on Jane Austen.

1 comment:

  1. Started to read this book, and I can hardly put it down. At the same time, I've downloaded all 6 books to my kindle (free!) and am starting to re-read them all with fresh eyes!! Thanks for recommending!

    ReplyDelete