Saturday, October 22, 2011

Blessed Pope John Paul II

"I urge priests, religious and lay people to continue and redouble their efforts to teach the younger generations the meaning and value of Eucharistic adoration and devotion. How will young people be able to know the Lord if they are not introduced to the mystery of his presence?" - Blessed Pope John Paul II

October 22 has been set as the feast day of Blessed Pope John Paul (the Great) II. This is the day that the Holy Father began his pontificate in 1978.

Blessed John Paul has written so much, that encyclopedias could be filled. Much more has been written about him. I have been tackling George Weigel's biography of JP2 Witness to Hope for several years now. So what then to blog about?

Then I came across this quote, and it really hit me. Very few of us spend enough (or any) time in prayer with our Lord, especially in adoration.

Why is that so? Too busy? Too much to do? Can't find the time? Not located close to me?

Can you imagine at the end of your life, meeting Jesus at the pearly gates and trying to explain that one to Him? "O sorry Lord, I meant to spend time with you, but .....my job, my kids, my activities.....etc"

I know God has been pulling on my heart to get in the quiet, even for 10 minutes. Servant of God Archbishop Fulton J Sheen always recommended spending an hour a day in prayer, unless you are busy, and on those days, spend 2 hours in prayer.

We need it that much.

So, I resolve, to recommit to prayer, especially in His Presence. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment