Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms by Lisa M. Hendey


I have long wanted to write a book about the saints, about my life, Catholic motherhood and a combination of all three. A year ago or so I read My Life with the Saints by Fr. James Martin and thought- that is exactly the type of book I want to write. Now Lisa Hendey comes out with another book that sounds just like the type of book I wish I had written! Although I don't know that for sure, because it hasn't yet been published.

So, that is why I am joining in the contest to guess one of the saints in this new book. The contest is sponsored by Aquinas & More Catholic Goods and promoted on Lisa's website www.catholicmom.com

The contest is only to guess one of the saints in the new book and say why. But since the new book covers 52 saints (I believe one for each week) I think that I can guess several of them!

TOP TWENTY SAINTS THAT ARE VERY LIKELY TO BE INCLUDED:
1. Mary the Mother of God. Mary is the perfect role model for all women for all time and the perfect Catholic Mom.
2. St. Elizabeth, mother of St. John the Baptist. Elizabeth had the privilege of being a relative of Jesus who conceived in her old age, "for nothing shall be impossible for God."
3. St. Gianna Beretta Molla. Giana is a recent saint, a wife, mother of 4, who sacrificed her life for her newly born child.
4. St. Therese of Lisieux. Although Therese was not a mother, her "little way" is quite possibly the best advice for any Catholic Mom to deal with children, husband and homemaking.
5. St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. Mother of 5, then widow, then founder of religious order, Elizabeth has something to teach all women.
6. Ss. Perpetua and Felicty. These early Roman Martyrs  had an infant son and were pregnant when they made the ultimate confession of the faith.
7. St. Elizabeth of Hungary. Princess, mother, widow, estranged from family wealth and power, she saw to the raising of her children then joined the third order Franciscans and worked with the poor.
8. Ss. Martha and Mary. The sisters of Lazarus teach us the benefits of being "active" and "prayerful."
9. St. Monica. One of the most powerful examples for mothers with wayward children, Monica prayed for her son for more than 20 years and he became SAINT Augustine.
10. St. Jane Frances de Chantal. Mother of 6, then widow, was blessed to have St. Francis de Sales as her spiritual director.
11. St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edit Stein.) A Jewish convert to Catholicism, Edith wrote extensively on the dignity of being a woman
12. St Teresa of Avila. One of only 3 women Doctors of the Church, Teresa was spirited and had a good sense of humor as she set about reforming her order of nuns.
13. St. Theodore Guerin. Mother Theodore traveled to the missionary country of Indiana in the early 1800s to found the Sisters of Providence and their schools throughout the state.
14. St. Katharine Drexel. Katharine was an heiress who put all her wealth at the feet of the church.
15. St. Frances Cabrini. She too traveled to American to found numerous hospitals and schools.
16. Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta. Most well know recent soon to be saint, she worked for the poorest of the poor and the unborn.
17. St. Anne. Mother of Mary, Grandmother to Jesus, she conceived in her old age and brought forth "the morning star."
18. St. Rita. Patron saint of hopeless cases, Rita had a difficult husband to warring sons and kept the faith when all went wrong.
19. St Joan of Arc. Joan gives us the example of a true warrior, qualities that all mothers need to raise a family in this day and age.
20. St. Mary Magdelene. Best known as the most repentant of all women, every mother needs to be able to put the past behind and stay close to Christ.

I love all of these sisters in Christ, but my vote for the saint that should be in Lisa's new book has to be......

St. Frances of Rome

The reason I chose St. Frances is due to a quote that this wife and mother gave us that is very helpful to me:

"It is most laudable in a married woman to be devout, but she must never forget that she is a housewife. And sometimes she must leave God at the altar, to find Him in her housekeeping." (As quoted from the book Lessons from the Lives of the Saints by Fr. Joseph Esper, another book I wish I had written. :)

Looking forward to reading this book and someday writing one of my own!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie - I had such fun reading your "picks"! Maybe you and I can collaborate on a sequel one day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm unfamiliar with St. Frances of Rome, but I hope you guessed right--because she sounds like someone about whom I'd love to learn more!

    ReplyDelete