Thursday, April 21, 2011

First Date, REO Speedwagon Concert

Our first date was April 21, 1981, 30 years ago today. I was a sophomore in high school, not even able to drive. Bob had just turned 17 and was a junior in high school. Bob invited me to the REO Speedwagon Concert at the University of Dayton Arena in Dayton, Ohio. 707 was the warm up band. I wasn't a huge REO fan, but they were pretty popular in 1981 and I was excited to go to a concert, my first.

Well, he bought me the shirt. And I guess that was that! We married five years later.

I still have the shirt. I don't keep many things from the past, and certainly not any other clothing that  long, but it was a special day and a special memento. Our two oldest boys have worn the shirt to "80s days" at school. But most of the time, it is pretty much just sitting on the shelf in the closet.


Except for today, I am wearing it. How Blessed I am to celebrate 30 years of Bob Musselman!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I didn't go to REO Speedwagon but I do remember a Flock of Seagulls concert with Mike C and Tim C! I do remember you and Bob from those days as I dated Bob's friend Steve W...I suppose that was Jr. year? Just this week I spent hours in the basement in search of one of Wayne's 30 year old concert t-shirts so he could wear it to an Iggy Pop concert in Ann Arbor. I knew it was there somewhere. It didn't quite fit him the same as it did 30 years ago, but not too bad, he still wore it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allan and I think this is very cool. Congratulations! You both made good choices.

    ReplyDelete