Thursday, March 17, 2011

Feast of St. Patrick

My younger sister Colleen Kavanaugh Duffy and Liam 10 months old
The Feast of St. Patrick is a very special feast to Irish and Non-Irish alike. My father's side of the family, the Kavanaughs, came from Ireland and were very proud of their Irish heritage. Hearing the singing of "Christ be beside me" from the writings of St. Patrick, brought tears to my eyes today as I thought of all the Irish immigrants including my great-grandparents. I thought of all the Irish priests who came to the "mission" territory of the United States and thanked God for our own pastor emeritus, Msgr. Bernard Caverly.

Click here for the tune of "Christ be beside me" 
Christ beside me, Christ before me, 
 Christ behind me King of my heart; 
 Christ within me, Christ below me, 
 Christ above me never to part. 
Christ on my right hand, Christ on my left hand, 
 Christ all around me shield in strife; 
 Christ in my sleeping, Christ in my sitting, 
 Christ in my rising light of my life.
Christ beside me, Christ before me, 
 Christ behind me King of my heart; 
 Christ within me, Christ below me, 
 Christ above me never to part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment