Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An Overview of Lent

This will be my 46th Lent.

And for the first time, I have an overview of the Lenten Season. Fr. Waters, the rector of the Cathedral of St. Jude the Apostle in St. Petersburg spelled it out so simply for me last week. The "A cycle" of readings are as follows:

March 13: First Sunday of Lent: The Temptation in the Desert
March 20: Second Sunday of Lent: The Transfiguration
March 27: Third Sunday of Lent: The Samaritan Woman at the Well
April 3: Fourth Sunday of Lent: The Man born Blind
April 10: Fifth Sunday of Lent: The Raising of Lazarus
April 17: Palm Sunday: The Passion of our Lord
April 24: Easter Sunday: The Resurrection of our Lord

Why does this matter?
For me, a busy wife with six children, it helps me focus. Seeing the big picture helps me make sense of the details. Looking over these gospels, I see God's pattern for us of cross and resurrection, of failing and raising, of being away from Him and being drawn in. It gives me hope. One of the things I hope to do this lent is weekly confession. I think we can better see our sins and be accountable for them but making a more frequent examination of conscience. AND the grace of confession is a fresh breeze! God's grace not only forgiving the past, but strengthening for the future.

None of us know how many Lents we will have in our life time. So let's make this the best one yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment