Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Cousin the Saint by Justin Catanoso

This is a really enjoyable book. The book is written by Justin Catanoso, a modern day, 40 something, fallen away Catholic. His life is changed when he learns of his grandfather's cousin in Italy who is being investigated for sainthood. The story of the life of now Saint Gaetano Catanoso is told concurrently with the story of Justin's grandfather and his immigration to the United States in the early 1900s. The joys and sorrows of the American Catanoso family is contrasted with the Italian cousins Justin meets when he travels to Italy to learn more about Padre Gaetano Catanoso. All along, Justin's own faith journey is revealed. 
I like every level of this book. I liked learning about a newly canonized saint. I like reading the story of an immigrant Italian family. And of course I always enjoy reading how God is working in the lives of ordinary people, like this author. I first heard about this book from the Bishop of St. Petersburg FL, Robert N. Lynch. He too enjoyed the book and wrote about it in his blog. You can read his "review" at Bishop Robert Lynch's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment