Sunday, January 9, 2011

Give us this day our daily bagels


Just a few of the more than 3 dozen bagels God provided.
 This week I forgot to pick up the bagels early in the morning as I usually do. So late afternoon, I called the bakery asked how long they were open and if they had any left. They were open for only 30 minutes more. I placed my order and said I will be there in 15 minutes.

Upon arrival, I noticed the appliances were all wiped down and unplugged, the store was empty and the staff was watching the clock tick so their shift would end. I blurted out "hey are the bagels half price since it is the end of the day?" The clerk said "no" with a smile. I asked, what are you going to do with all these left over bagels as there were plenty in the rack. He told me, regretably, they would be thrown out. I then offered to take some off his hands and he started filling a bag.

So for the price of a dozen, I took home three, plus two blueberry muffins that were also trash can bound. The bagels are cut and frozen and I thanked God for this little "budget stretcher" of my forgetfulness and the kindness of the baker. Now we need to work on a plan to get future unsold bagels to Pinelas Hope, our homeless shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment