Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ave Maris Stella


November 5, My husband and I began the 33 days towards re-consecration to Jesus through Mary by St. Louis de Montfort. We had originally done it in 1997 or 1998. One of the daily prayers for the first 12 days is the Ave Maris Stella. Ave Maris Stella is the Latin for the first line of the prayer. Because the prayer rhymes, it was amazing to me how my children and I had remembered parts of it from over 10 years ago. The children aren't doing the entire consecration with us, but I have been saying the prayer with them at night and they have learned it by heart so quickly! So I share it in hopes that some adopt it as a bedtime prayer or just a great prayer to say after meals, in the car or anywhere. I highly recommend the St. Louis de Montfort consecration. Pope John Paul II calls it one of the turning points of his life.

Hail, bright star of ocean, God's own Mother blest,
Ever sinless Virgin, Gate of heavenly rest.


Taking that sweet Ave, Which from Gabriel came,
Peace confirm within us, Changing Eva's name.


Break the captives' fetters, Light on blindness pour,
All our ills expelling, Every bliss implore.


Show thyself a Mother; May the Word Divine,
Born for us thy Infant, Hear our prayers through thine.


Virgin all excelling, Mildest of the mild,
Freed from guilt, preserve us, Pure and undefiled.


Keep our life all spotless, Make our way secure,
Till we find in Jesus, Joy forevermore.


Through the highest heaven, To the Almighty Three,
Father, Son and Spirit, One same glory be. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment