Thursday, October 7, 2010

Our Lady of the Rosary

This entire month I have been called back again and again to pick up the rosary and pray it every day. I have been receiving so many emails, magazines and other messages on the importance of this rosary and ways to pray it more devoutly. I've even felt called to get up very early in the morning and pray the rosary daily while I walk.

The word's of the apostolic letter of our Holy Father Pope John Paul II have resonated in my soul. "The Rosary has accompanied me in moments of joy and in moments of difficulty. To it I have entrusted any number of concerns; in it I have always found comfort." (from  Rosarium Virginis Mariae.)

The Battle of Lepanto by Paolo Veronese

The more often and devoutly I pray the rosary, the more I can see the work of God's hand in my life through joys and difficulties, just like Pope John Paul.  

Today we also honor Mary under the title of Our Lady of Victory. This title came about because of the Battle of Lepanto. In 1571 Europe and Christianity were threatened by a Turkish invasion. Pope Pius V realized the grave danger and called upon all to pray the rosary. The battle was won and the people were saved. This is such an important event in history as both Europe and Christianity were preserved. Our Lady of Victory, pray for us!


 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie! I love the info you give on the saints. I am a big, big fan of the rosary as well as the chaplet of Divine Mercy.

    Welcome to CMO!

    ReplyDelete