Monday, August 30, 2010

Feast of St. Jeanne Jugan


Born in 1792, Jeanne became a domestic servant as a young girl because her father was lost at sea and her family became very poor. Well into her 40s, she was still serving in other peoples homes. One day she saw an old woman about to die alone in a hovel. Jeanne picked her up and brought her home to Jeanne's own bed.

In 1839 she and her friends founded the Little Sisters of the Poor. She spent the next 10 years begging on their behalf. She was always humble and lived a hidden life. She died August 29, 1879 and was just cannonized October 11, 2009.

Some people in their 40s think their "best" years are gone. But many only just begin to find themselves at this point in midlife. Mother Teresa was in her 40s when she started the Missionaries of Charity. At age 45, I am excited about the things God may be calling me to. With my first child now in college and my "baby" in Kindergarten, I know for sure that He is asking me to share the faith with everyone I meet. What is God calling you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment