Thursday, August 26, 2010

Birthday of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Mother Teresa was born 100 years ago today! Think of how much the world has changed since 1910. That makes this quote of hers all the more amazing.

"We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise and restlessness.  God is the friend of silence. See how nature -trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; the moon and the sun, how they move in silence?  We need silence to be able to touch souls."

As a mother of 6 children ages 5 to 18, I long for silence. "Noise and restlessness" resound most of the day! But I have carved out a few ways to be in silence. First, I try to have my prayer time early in the morning before anyone is awake. I spend about 15 minutes a day reading over the mass readings for the day and then reading the commentary by Francis Fernandez, In Conversation with God. Second, I rarely watch TV. It is never just "on" in the house without someone watching it. If a program is watched by the family, the volume is low.  Lastly, I am trying very hard to speak less and listen more. After the example of Our Lady, I want to "ponder these things in my heart." This is the hardest of all for me but when I can force myself to listen, I always feel so good that I did not jump in and start talking before I thought about what to say first.

How do you find the silence? Let's honor Our Lady and Mother Teresa by carving out some silence today.

1 comment: